The installation of water meters is a must in any hidraulic network. Do you need to know how to install a water meter?
Most of the installations must be done by specialized workers also the assets have to comply the requirements and characteristics of approval required by the corresponding bodies (Confederation Hydrographic, water management entities) if its original purpose is to record consumption for the issuance of invoices to users of a service.
Do you ask yourself how and where to install a water meter, It depends on the certification required by the meter. There are as many options as models existed on the market. This article will help you with the bullet points to install a water meter.
In any installation you should keep in mind the following aspects:
- Close the water supply before uninstalling the existing meter in the network.
- Drain the pipeline before fitting a meter to eliminate particles.
- Place the water meter so the arrow matches the direction of the water flow.
- The water meters must always be full of water when operating, minimum presure 0,3 bar, and installed below the slope of the rest of the pipeline. This stops air pockets from forming inside.
- Place air valves release If there is air in the pipeline to avoid incorrect readings.
- Fit a gate or butterfly valve upstream from the meter to facilitate maintenance or repair.
- Do not force the water meter during assembly; avoid tension or torsional stress, especially to the threaded connections.
According to their approval water meters can be installed vertically, horizontally or in any position. You will find this information in the manufacturer’s technical datasheet.
Another aspect to take into account and which is also given by the approval of the water meter is the need to respect certain water meter upstream and downstream straight sections. At Hidroconta we have equipment that does not need straight sections (U0 / D0) such as the Atlantis, Tritón, Predator, Centinel range, among others. If you have any questions about how to install a water meter, do not hesitate to contact our team.